Places to Visit in Scarperia
Scarperia is a little town, but it has numerous attractions and resources. Here below we propose only some interesting places you can visit in this district.
Sant'Agata is a small village located in the western part of Mugello area, nearby the town of Scarperia.
We don't know much about its origin, but surely it's linked with its topographic position (near a pass on the Appennine Mountains called “Passo dell'osteria Bruciata”). This little village also keeps intact traces of Etruscan, Roman and Lombard civilizations.
Between 11th and 12th century, Sant'agata was a rural village located near the two main roads taking to the city of Bologna. Such roads were guarded by two castles: Ascianello castle (destroyed in 1260 by Florence’s Ghibellini), and Montaccianico castle, which firstly was Ubaldini's stronghold, then a shelter for politicians exiles (also the famous writer of the “Divine Comedy”, Dante), and finally destroyed in 1302 on order of Florentine Republic.
Therefore, the current village is the one built in the Middle Ages, and still nowadays preserving its old charm.
Palazzo dei Vicari
The palace was built in 1306 and then it was modified and enlarged, since the town became a Vicariate, but the impressive original structure has been mantained. The tower-bell soars on the right side of the palace, it is attributed to Arnolfo di Cambio. On the facade are visible a great number of coats of arms placed by the vicars at the end of their commissions.
Inside there are ornaments and frescoes of the Reinassance, furthermore it has been recently inaugurated the Museum of cutting knives. It is possible to follow guided tours to the palace halls, not usually open to the public, to the communication trenches leading to the facade merlons and to a part of the works conserved in the archieves. The price is 5 Euro for person for a maximum of ten people for a group.
So, it is essential to reserve the tour by:
Municipal Tourist Board Association Scarperia
Phone 055-8468165 from Wednesday to Sunday from 9.30 to 12.30
Church of the Saints Filippo and Jacopo
Situated in front of the Vicars' Palace, this church was built in 1325 from the Augustinian friars and remained their property till 1812. It is interesting to notice the wooden crucifix attributed to Sansovino and the "Madonna with child" by Benedetto da Maiano.
This pieve is one of the most important and ancient sacred buildings in Mugello: its foundation is dated in late roman age, even if the present aspect is almost due to the recostruction of the 12th century. Inside there are interesting works of art, frescoes and a font.
This pieve was built in the 10th century, it was a property of Ubaldini till the 15th century, when it passed to Niccolò Machiavelli's family.
Restored in 1770, outside it is baroque, but in the interior and the apse mantain the romanesque aspect and form. Inside there are many precious works, and also an Assumption attributed to Raffaello's school. Another important characteristic is the landscape you can see from this pieve.